Download our FREE smartphone app today!
Chobham Academy is a state comprehensive school which welcomes children of all backgrounds and abilities.
Chobham consists of a nursery with 52 equivalent full time admissions; a primary phase of 630 students; Years 7-11 made up of 900 students a sixth form of 300 students.
Our annual admissions number of Reception is 90 children, for Year 7 204 children and for Year 12 150 students.
Year 7 admissions will be made up of 90 children moving up from the Chobham primary phase together with 114 external admissions. External Year 7 places are allocated on the basis of a banding system to ensure that a fair distribution of children of all academic abilities are admitted to the Academy each year. All external applicants for a Year 7 place at Chobham are invited to undertake a standardised reasoning test in the autumn term prior to admission. On the basis of these tests, applicants are then placed into ability bands. A proportion of children from each band are then offered a place at Chobham in line with the criteria set out in the Academy’s Admissions Policy (see below).
Academy Admissions Contact Details
Telephone: 0203 747 6060 ext. 6094
Address: Chobham Academy, 40 Cheering Lane, Stratford, London E20 1BD
In-Year Admissions for entry from September
If you wish to apply for an in-year admission (that is entry to any year group at any stage in the school year, other than to Reception, Year 7 or the Sixth form in September 2018) From 1st July 2018, Chobham Academy will be part of London Borough of Newham's Co-ordinated Admissions Scheme which means that all applications including in year (casual admissions) are to be made via London Borough of Newham website which you can access below. If you are new to the area, you are advised to complete an in-year application form from Newham Admissions Team to ensure that you get offered a place at another school if Chobham Academy is not able to offer your child a place. The 2018/19 admissions arrangements which include treatment of in year admissions can be found at the footer of this page.
Admission for entry from September 2019
For children wanting to join the academy in 2019/20 academic year, please download the policy below. If you would like to view the map, of the East Village, that is mentioned in the policy this is available to download below.
If you have any questions please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Email email@example.com or ring 020 8430 2000 when you have moved in to allow Newham to update their records.
Admission for entry from September 2019 (2019/20 current academic year)
- Determined Admission Arrangements for 2018 entry
- LB Newham Primary School Admissions web pages http://www.newham.gov.uk/Pages/Services/Admissions-primary-school.aspx
- LB Newham Secondary School Admissions web pages https://www.newham.gov.uk/Pages/Services/Admissions-secondary-school.aspx
- London Borough of Newham in-year application form https://www.newham.gov.uk/Pages/Services/In-year-admissions.aspx
New to Nursery & Reception Open Days:
Thursday 22nd November 4.30-5.30pm
Thursday 17th January 9.45-10.45am
Thursday 14th February 4.30-5.30pm
Thursday 21st March 9.45-10.45
Please confirm your place at any of the above open days via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The academy deals directly with nursery admissions. We accept applications once the child has turned 2 years old.
If the child turns 3 years old in the term after September then they are due to start nursery the coming September.
The nursery is split into morning session and afternoon sessions with 52 applicants in each session.
Nursery morning session: 8.30-11.30am.
Nursery afternoon session: 12.30am-3.30am.
Applications are to be made directly to The Academy and can be found at the bottom of this page.
The Academy has an admission number of 90 in Reception for September 2019.
Applications for places in Reception should be made on the home Local Authority’s Common Application Form. These are accessible on the LA’s website and should be submitted in accordance with the LA’s published deadlines for applications (normally early to mid-January before the academic year in which the child is eligible for entry).
|Reception Key Dates|
|15th January 2019||CAF forms returned to home Local Authority|
|16th April 2019||Local Authority informs Parents/Carers of allocated school|
|16th April 2019||National Offer Day|
|16th May 2019||Reception Appeal Paper Deadline|
|From 10th June||Appeal Hearings|
|1st September 2019||Waiting Lists close and are replaced by casual admissions waiting lists. Parents/Carers will need to re-apply as a casual admission if a place is still required.|
Closing date for 2019/20 applications: Tuesday 15th January 2019
Applications are to be made via Newham council at www.newham.gov.uk/schooladmissions
Reception admission for entry from September 2019
- Pan London eadmissions portal www.eadmissions.org.uk
- Pan London Schemes for 2019-20
- Determined Admission Arrangements for 2019 entry https://www.newham.gov.uk/Documents/Education%20and%20learning/LBNewhamDeterminedSchoolAdmissionArrangementsSep2019.pdf
- LB Newham Reception for 2019 Admission web pages http://www.newham.gov.uk/Pages/Services/Admissions-primary-school.aspx
Chobham Academy operates an extensive waiting list for in year admissions from Reception to Year 6. Please contact our admissions officer, Mrs Chowdhury at Admissions@chobhamacademy.org.uk if you require further information or would like to request an in year application pack.
|View Digital Prospectus Online
||Download a PDF
Year 7 Applications
The Academy has an admission number of 114 in Year 7. The full age group is 204 but 90 pupils are already present in Year 6 and transition automatically into Year 7.
For admission into Year 7 in September 2019, parents and carers are required to complete an application form (known as the “Common Application Form” CAF) which will be sent to them by their local authority. No applications direct to the Academy can be accepted.
Parents are strongly advised to read carefully the full Academy Admissions Policy 2019-2020 (see at the bottom of the page) and information and advice from the local authority. The main points to remember are:
- You must submit an application form to your Local Education Authority if applying on line by 31 October 2018 A place at any secondary school can only be offered if an application has been received.
- Think carefully about the order in which you place your chosen schools on the form. You should enter your most preferred school first on the list.
- You will be invited to a testing day on 13th December, this is a non-verbal reasoning test and ensures places are offered to all bands of ability.
- Be sure to include at least 3 different schools on your preference form.
On 1st March 2019, the local authority will notify you of the school where your child has been offered a place. If you are happy with the offer, you MUST ACCEPT this place by returning the acceptance form to the Admissions Administrator at the Academy.
If you are unhappy that you did not receive an offer of a school place at Chobham Academy, you have the right to lodge an independent appeal with us. You have until Friday 29th March to submit an appeal form. All appeals will be heard in May/June 2019.
Primary to secondary transition for entry from September 2019
- Link to Pan London eadmissions portal www.eadmissions.org.uk
Pan London Schemes for 2019-20
- Determined Admission Arrangements for 2019 entry https://www.newham.gov.uk/Documents/Education%20and%20learning/AdmissionArrangementsNewhamSecondary2016.pdf
- LB Newham primary to secondary transition web pages http://www.newham.gov.uk/Pages/Services/Admissions-primary-school.aspx
- 21 October 2018 - deadline for paper applications to be received by Pupil Services (this is the date the form must be received by Pupil Services not the date posted). This only applies where the applicant is applying direct not where they have delivered to their primary school.
- 31 October 2018 - national closing day and deadline for applying on-line (11.59pm)
We are pleased to announce that our Year 6 Open Evening will be held on Wednesday 26th September 2018 from 4.30pm – 7.30pm. Booking is NOT required for the opening evening.
Sixth Form Applications
All Sixth Form admissions information can be found by following the link to the Sixth Form page. For Sixth Form related enquiries please contact Ms Rees, Head of Sixth Form, on email@example.com.
Entry requirements for Sixth Form A Level/Technical pathways can be found here.
For sixth form enquiries please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Post 16 Prospectus
Parent(s) wishing to appeal against the Academy’s decision on admissions, for any year group, should complete an Appeal Form (see below) stating the reason for the appeal, based on the published Admissions Criteria.
If you wish to appeal you must contact the Admissions Officer at the Academy who will send you an appeals form to complete.
Completed forms should be sent to the Clerk to Governors at Chobham Academy, 40 Cheering Lane, Stratford, London, E20 1BD.
Completed appeal forms for Year 7 appeal forms must be received by The Academy by 31st March 2019 and completed appeal forms for Reception must be received by The Academy by 14th May 2019.
The appeals will be heard, in private, by an Independent appeal Panel. The Clerk to the Appeal Panel will make an appointment within a reasonable time, Appeals may be made in English or the Parents’/Carers’ first language.
- Only one appeal per application is allowed.
- Appeals are conducted in person, and you may bring a friend.
The Appeal Hearing
The Independent Appeals Panel will then consider the Academy's reasons for refusal and your reasons for wanting to attend the Academy.
The Panel will consist of 3 people (2 will have education experience and one will be an independent person with no education experience).
The Panel will consider the case put forward by you and the Academy. They must consider the admission arrangements for the Academy and the reasons why you want to attend that particular school. The Panel must exercise its discretion by balancing the weight of your argument (for wanting to attend) against the Academy’s reasons for refusal i.e. the prejudice that one more student would cause to the education of the students already offered and the Health and Safety of all the students already attending the Academy, also taking into account the Academy's published admission arrangements.
The decision of the Independent Appeals Panel is binding on the admissions authority and the Parents.
Useful likes for all schools admissions
- LB Newham School Fact Finder http://www.newham.gov.uk/Pages/Services/Schools-Directory.aspx
- Ace Education – Independent Advice for Parents and Carers http://www.ace-ed.org.uk