Download our FREE smartphone app today!
Chobham Academy is a state comprehensive school which welcomes children of all backgrounds and abilities.
Chobham consists of a nursery with 52 equivalent full time admissions; a primary phase of 630 students; Years 7-11 made up of 900 students a sixth form of 300 students.
Our annual admissions number of Reception is 90 children, for Year 7 180 children and for Year 12 150 students.
Year 7 admissions will be made up of 90 children moving up from the Chobham primary phase together with 90 external admissions. External Year 7 places are allocated on the basis of a banding system to ensure that a fair distribution of children of all academic abilities are admitted to the Academy each year. All external applicants for a Year 7 place at Chobham are invited to undertake a standardised reasoning test in the autumn term prior to admission. On the basis of these tests, applicants are then placed into ability bands. A proportion of children from each band are then offered a place at Chobham in line with the criteria set out in the Academy’s Admissions Policy (see below).
Academy Admissions Contact Details
Telephone: 0203 747 6060
Address: Chobham Academy, 40 Cheering Lane, Stratford, London E20 1BD
In-Year Admissions for entry from September
If you wish to apply for an in-year admission (that is entry to any year group at any stage in the school year, other than to Reception, Year 7 or the Sixth form in September 2018) then Chobham Academy is managing its own admissions process. Please complete the application form found at the bottom of this page and return it to the Academy. If you are new to the area, you are advised to complete an in-year application form from Newham Admissions Team to ensure that you get offered a place at another school if Chobham Academy is not able to offer your child a place. The 2017/18 admissions arrangements which include treatment of in year admissions can be found at the footer of this page.
Please complete the "In Year application form " (available in the Document Download section below), for entry to the school year 2017/18, stating clearly what year group you are applying for, and bring/post the completed application to Chobham Academy Admissions Team.
Admission for entry from September 2018
For children wanting to join the academy in 2018/19 academic year, please download the policy below. If you would like to view the map, of the East Village, that is mentioned in the policy this is available to download below.
If you have any questions please email email@example.com
Email firstname.lastname@example.org or ring 020 8430 2000 when you have moved in to allow Newham to update their records.
Admission for entry from September 2018 (2017/18 current academic year)
- Determined Admission Arrangements for 2018 entry
- LB Newham Primary School Admissions web pages http://www.newham.gov.uk/Pages/Services/Admissions-primary-school.aspx
- LB Newham Secondary School Admissions web pages https://www.newham.gov.uk/Pages/Services/Admissions-secondary-school.aspx
- ‘In Year’ School Admissions Application – aka mid term or mid phase - if you wish to make an In Year application to The Academy please complete the application form that is at the bottom of this page and return directly to The Academy. Further information on In Year applications can be found on the Newham Borough website https://www.newham.gov.uk/inyear
New to Nursery & Reception Open Days:
Thursday 22nd March 2018 - 5.00pm - 6.00pm
Please confirm your place at any of the above open days via email to email@example.com.
The academy deals directly with nursery admissions. We accept applications once the child has turned 2 years old.
If the child turns 3 years old in the term after September then they are due to start nursery the coming September.
The nursery is split into morning session and afternoon sessions with 52 applicants in each session.
Nursery morning session: 8.30-11.30am.
Nursery afternoon session: 12.30am-3.30am.
Applications are to be made directly to The Academy and can be found at the bottom of this page.
The Academy has an admission number of 90 in Reception for September 2018.
Applications for places in Reception should be made on the home Local Authority’s Common Application Form. These are accessible on the LA’s website and should be submitted in accordance with the LA’s published deadlines for applications (normally early to mid-January before the academic year in which the child is eligible for entry).
|Reception Key Dates|
|15th January 2016||CAF forms returned to home Local Authority|
|16th April 2016||Local Authority informs Parents/Carers of allocated school|
|18th April||National Offer Day|
|16th May||Reception Appeal Paper Deadline|
|From 11th July||Appeal Hearings|
|1st September 2017||Waiting Lists close and are replaced by casual admissions waiting lists. Parents/Carers will need to re-apply as a casual admission if a place is still required.|
Closing date for 2017/18 applications: Sunday 15th January 2017
Applications are to be made via Newham council at www.newham.gov.uk/schooladmissions
Reception admission for entry from September 2017
- Pan London eadmissions portal www.eadmissions.org.uk
- Pan London Schemes for 2017-18
- Determined Admission Arrangements for 2017 entry https://www.newham.gov.uk/Documents/Education%20and%20learning/AdmissionArrangementsNewhamPrimary2017.PDF
- LB Newham Reception for 2017 Admission web pages http://www.newham.gov.uk/Pages/Services/Admissions-primary-school.aspx
Chobham Academy operates an extensive waiting list for in year admissions from Reception to Year 6. Please contact our admissions officer, Mrs Chowdhury at Admissions@chobhamacademy.org.uk if you require further information or would like to request an in year application pack.
|View Digital Prospectus Online
||Download a PDF
Year 7 Applications
The Academy has an admission number of 90 in Year 7. The full age group is 180 but 90 pupils are already present in Year 6 and transition automatically into Year 7.
For admission into Year 7 in September 2018, parents and carers are required to complete an application form (known as the “Common Application Form” CAF) which will be sent to them by their local authority. No applications direct to the Academy can be accepted.
Parents are strongly advised to read carefully the full Academy Admissions Policy 2018-2019 (see at the bottom of the page) and information and advice from the local authority. The main points to remember are:
- You must submit an application form to your Local Education Authority if applying on line by 31 October 2017 A place at any secondary school can only be offered if an application has been received.
- Think carefully about the order in which you place your chosen schools on the form. You should enter your most preferred school first on the list.
- You will be invited to a testing day on 8th December, this is a non-verbal reasoning test and ensures places are offered to all bands of ability.
- Be sure to include at least 3 different schools on your preference form.
On 3rd March 2018, the local authority will notify you of the school where your child has been offered a place. If you are happy with the offer, you MUST ACCEPT this place by returning the acceptance form to the Admissions Administrator at the Academy.
If you are unhappy that you did not receive an offer of a school place at Chobham Academy, you have the right to lodge an independent appeal with us. You have until Tuesday 3rd April 2018 to submit an appeal form. All appeals will commence after Monday 30th May 2018.
Primary to secondary transition for entry from September 2018
- Link to Pan London eadmissions portal www.eadmissions.org.uk
Pan London Schemes for 2018-19
- Determined Admission Arrangements for 2018 entry https://www.newham.gov.uk/Documents/Education%20and%20learning/AdmissionArrangementsNewhamSecondary2016.pdf
- LB Newham primary to secondary transition web pages http://www.newham.gov.uk/Pages/Services/Admissions-primary-school.aspx
- 21 October 2017 - deadline for paper applications to be received by Pupil Services (this is the date the form must be received by Pupil Services not the date posted). This only applies where the applicant is applying direct not where they have delivered to their primary school.
- 31 October 2017 - national closing day and deadline for applying on-line (11.59pm)
Sixth Form Applications
Please visit the Sixth Form page on our website for more information on how to apply for a Sixth Form place.
Sixth Form Entry Requirements 2017/18
|4 A Levels||7 A* - C grades in full course GCSE subjects.|
|3 A Levels||5 A* - C grades in full course GCSE subjects.|
|4 A Level / BTEC Level 3 Combination||Combination of 7 A* - C grades at GCSE or merit or above in BTEC subjects.|
|3 A Level / BTEC Level 3 Combination||Combination of 5 A* - C grades at GCSE or merit or above in BTEC subjects.|
|A Levels require a B grade in a relevant GCSE subject.|
|BTEC Level 3 subjects||5 A* - C grades at GCSE or equivalent, with at least a Merit or C grade in a relevant BTEC/GCSE.|
Specific Requirements- A Levels
|Maths||Any student wishing to study A Level Maths from a GCSE grade B will have to pass an algebra test to assess their suitability for the course.|
|English Literature||Students taking English GCSE double award should have a minimum of a B grade in English Literature and a B grade in English Language. If doing the English GCSE single award, a minimum of a B grade is required.|
|Science Based Subjects||
Students taking GCSE Double Award Science must have at least a BB grade for Core and Additional Science as well as a B grade or above in relevant subject modules.
Students taking GCSE Separate Sciences must have at least a B grade in the relevant Science subject.
For sixth form enquiries please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Post 16 Prospectus
Parent(s) wishing to appeal against the Academy’s decision on admissions, for any year group, should complete an Appeal Form (see below) stating the reason for the appeal, based on the published Admissions Criteria.
If you wish to appeal you must contact the Admissions Officer at the Academy who will send you an appeals form to complete.
Completed forms should be sent to the Clerk to Governors at Chobham Academy, 40 Cheering Lane, Stratford, London, E20 1BD.
Completed appeal forms for Year 7 appeal forms must be received by The Academy by 3rd April 2017 and completed appeal forms for Reception must be received by The Academy by 16th May 2018.
The appeals will be heard, in private, by an Independent appeal Panel. The Clerk to the Appeal Panel will make an appointment within a reasonable time, Appeals may be made in English or the Parents’/Carers’ first language.
- Only one appeal per application is allowed.
- Appeals are conducted in person, and you may bring a friend.
The Appeal Hearing
The Independent Appeals Panel will then consider the Academy's reasons for refusal and your reasons for wanting to attend the Academy.
The Panel will consist of 3 people (2 will have education experience and one will be an independent person with no education experience).
The Panel will consider the case put forward by you and the Academy. They must consider the admission arrangements for the Academy and the reasons why you want to attend that particular school. The Panel must exercise its discretion by balancing the weight of your argument (for wanting to attend) against the Academy’s reasons for refusal i.e. the prejudice that one more student would cause to the education of the students already offered and the Health and Safety of all the students already attending the Academy, also taking into account the Academy's published admission arrangements.
The decision of the Independent Appeals Panel is binding on the admissions authority and the Parents.
Useful likes for all schools admissions
- LB Newham School Fact Finder http://www.newham.gov.uk/Pages/Services/Schools-Directory.aspx
- Ace Education – Independent Advice for Parents and Carers http://www.ace-ed.org.uk